Saturday, April 27, 2024

The Sunday Salon: A New Bicycle is on its Way

     




Welcome! I'm glad you joined us here at the 
Sunday Salon

What is the Sunday Salon? The Sunday Salon is a place to link up and share what we have been doing during the week. It's a great way to visit other blogs and join in the conversations going on there. 







I finished four books, and I started four more. I baked, cooked, worked in the garden, birded, and visited with friends. This weekend, if all goes well, I will be going to my old (in both sense of the word) friends' 50th wedding anniversary party and I will be face painting at Migration Celebration at the San Bernard National Wildlife Refuge. 

And I ordered a bicycle...


My bicycle should arrive in about two weeks.









The two books I'm thinking about the most this week both have spiritual themes: God on the Rocks by Jane Gardam and Elmer Gantry by Sinclair Lewis. Have you read either of these books? I had never heard of Jane Gardam until I read Bilgewater and A Long Way from Verona, two books on the 1001 Children's Books You Must Read list. She's an amazing writer, I think. I wonder why she is not better known here in the US. And even though Elmer Gantry was published in 1927, the novel feels very contemporary in its depiction of a conflicted preacher. The book was banned in Boston and many other places when it was first published, and I can see why. I plan to see the 1960 movie, for which Burt Lancaster won Best Actor, when I finish the book.



What I Read Last Week (Links are to my reviews):

God on the Rocks by Jane Gardam (Novel)

The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell with Bill Moyers (Nonfiction)

The Time Garden by Edward Eager (Kids' Book)

The Emerald City of Oz by J. Frank Baum (Oz Book #6; Ozathon)





What I'm Reading Now:

Somehow: Thoughts on Love by Anne Lamott (Happiness)

Heaven on Earth: 101 Happy Poems edited by Wendy Cope (Poetry)

Elmer Gantry by Sinclair Lewis (Classics Club Spin)

The Best of Brevity: Twenty Years of Flash Nonfiction (Nonfiction)








What I Posted Last Week Here at Readerbuzz:




I began to list 3 Good Things every day during the pandemic. Now I've established a regular routine of writing down my 3 Good Things. Here are 3 Good Things from last week:




Good Thing #1:
First fruits from the garden


Good Thing #2:
Magnolia trees blooming


Good Thing #3:
Milkweed blooming




Weekend linkup spots are listed below. Click on the picture to visit the site.

        

I hope you will join the linkup for Sunday Salon below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.