Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Jonathan Lethem and Gary Shteyngart


Why did I venture out on a cold, rainy Houston night to hear two authors I've never read?

How can I resist an author reading?

In any case, here I am. And I'm on the front row. The crowd is thin, a tenth of those who came to see Barbara Kingsolver last month.

Lethem reads from his latest book, The Feral Detective, and Shteyngart reads from his latest book, Lake Success, and they are both interviewed by a faculty member at UH.

They speak about their books, but they spend more time talking about our troubles in the larger world. Jonathan Lethem: "Trump cannot be both the symptom and the cause of our despair." Gary Shteyngart: "It's being spoken aloud. This is a catastrophe that started a long time ago."

I leave two hours later, and, oddly, I don't want to read either of their books, and yet I feel strangely enriched by the reading.



15 comments:

  1. At least the evening was not wasted since you were enriched by it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Authors are usually thinkers and can sometimes offer a different view even if you don't read their books. This certainly seems the case here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must have been well worth getting cold for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure I could go along and listen to a book reading of an author I never read. Got another phone box libary for you next week

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, love going to author events.

    It's a mistake for an author to talk about politics (or "our troubles in the larger world," which is another way of talking politics). When you talk politics, you should always count on alienating half your audience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The authors weren't talking about politics, actually; they were speaking to the sense of discord that almost everyone agrees is widespread.

      Delete
  6. I haven't been to a book reading in years and I really do miss them.
    Someday I hope to have the time to enjoy them again.

    Thanks for sharing!

    - Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been to a book reading. Not sure I want to either but I'm glad you're enriched by the experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful experience. I hope you will try it one day.

      Delete
  8. I also have never been to a book reading, I am afraid to fall asleep if I don't read myself, lol !

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.