Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Books I LOVED That No One Else Has Read: I Bet You Haven't Read Any of These

I'm going to make a bet with you. Do you want to bet me? I bet you a cup of coffee and a homemade blueberry muffin right now that you have not read ANY of the books I am listing below. Check yourself. (BTW, the ratings refer to the number of ratings on Goodreads).



Mrs. 'arris Goes to Paris by Paul Gallico 
1795 ratings




The Gold Bug Variations by Richard Powers 
1493 ratings




That Night by Alice McDermott 
1420 ratings



So Many Ways to Begin by Jon McGregor 
1400 ratings




Miss Lonelyhearts by Nathanael West 
1238 ratings




Happenstance by Carol Shields 
1184 ratings




The Box Garden by Carol Shields 
956 ratings




Rhoda: A Life in Stories by Ellen Gilchrist 
659 ratings




Wife by Bharati Mukherjee 
220 ratings




The World is Not Enough by Zoe Oldenbourg 
182 ratings




The Secret Life of Walter Mitty by James Thurber 
88 ratings


How did you do? Did you win the bet? Have you read any of these? If you haven't, you need to find copies and read them this year. Time's a-wasting.

Oh, and if I need to pay up, let me know when you will be in my part of the woods and I'll put a pot of coffee on for you.




Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

27 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! I've read two- the first and last books. Mrs 'Arris and Walter Mitty. Probably the shortest two on your list I expect. Now I just have to work out how to get to Houston again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you make it to Houston from Australia, I'll make you a complete meal.

      Delete
  2. I've read one of them - The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - back in high school I think. Or maybe college. And if I'm ever in your neck of the woods, I'll accept the coffee with pleasure. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of them so I guess I owe you coffee and a muffin when you come around here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, interesting that I've read the same two Louise has read: Mrs. 'Arris Goes to Paris by Paul Gallico and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty by James Thurber. (By the way, you gave Walter Mitty multiple lives below the book's cover.) Since Louise and I have read the same books, does that mean she and I should show up together for coffee (tea, in my case, since I've never liked the taste of coffee)?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got me! I have actually heard of 3 of your authors, but have not read them. And oh, am ready to go to your place right now, fed up with the cold here. Now, how are you doing with my list?: https://wordsandpeace.com/2019/02/19/top-ten-underrated-books/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved how your list was filled with books set in France.

      Delete
  6. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty only has 88 ratings? I thought it'd be more, I mean there's a Ben Stller movie based on it. This list looks to be riddled with hidden gems!
    Here's my TTT: https://dinaratengri.com/2019/02/ten-criminally-underrated-books/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like I might have read The Box Garden once, but I don't remember anything about it.

    My Top Ten Tuesday post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling like a Carol Shields reread is coming on soon.

      Delete
  8. I was really hoping there was one here that I could shout out, "I've read it!" Sadly, that wasn't the case. What a fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised, Les. I guess you owe me a coffee and a muffin next time I'm in the Pacific Northwest.

      Delete
  9. All new to me books in your TTT post this week!!

    Here's a link to my TTT post: https://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2019/02/top-ten-tuesday-books-i-loved-with.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised to find that Carol Shields isn't as widely read as I expected.

      Delete
  10. I have read all of the Mrs Harris books and loved them. I also have read Walter Mitty. I'm in Tasmania so your airfare might be a bit high to get my coffee and muffin delivered. 🤠🐧

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I shall have to wait until you visit Texas to pay up!

      Delete
  11. I haven't read any of these books! I would like to read Alice McDermott though. Mrs. Arris looks like a fun book. Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha! I have read Mrs. 'Arris Goes to Paris AND seen the movie multiple times!

    AND I have read "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" multiple times and seen the Danny Kaye movie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You win the bet; I haven't read any of these. I have never paid attention to how many reviews a book has on Goodreads. Unless it has hardly any. Now I'll pay attention!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've read Walter Mitty, and a great deal more of Thurber's work for sure. I might have read The Goldberg Variations? Maybe?

    Good to know I have coffee and a muffin waiting if I ever make it to Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Boooo hoooo, I've only read two: Mrs. Arris Goes to Paris and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I went through a Thurber phase in high school, starting with A Thurber Carnival in an old box of books I found in our attic. I also found Forever Amber there and managed to read it before my mom discovered I'd brought the box of books into my bedroom and said they were "inappropriate." I honestly found nothing wrong with them, but maybe some things went over my head. Thurber's short stories and cartoons and weird versions of fairy tales were funny to me, and I really enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.