Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Characters That Remind Me of Myself

My favorite books tend to contain favorite characters. Favorite characters become favorites because I tend to see something in them that reminds me of myself.

Are these things true for you, too?





Here are some characters I identify with:


Meg Murry of A Wrinkle in Time 
Character trait that reminds me of myself: nerd-i-ness

Hermoine Granger of Harry Potter
Character trait that reminds me of myself: know-it-all-ness

Bilbo Baggins of The Hobbit
Character trait that reminds me of myself: love of home

Anne of Anne of Green Gables
Character trait that reminds me of myself: hopefulness

Stargirl of Stargirl
Character trait that reminds me of myself: desire to do things to bring people together even when it makes you seem very, very quirky

Madeline of Madeline
Character trait that reminds me of myself: daring

The Little House of The Little House
Character trait that reminds me of myself: dislike of change

Frog of Frog and Toad
Character trait that reminds me of myself: cheer-i-ness

Alice of Alice in Wonderland
Character trait that reminds me of myself: surprised by the world

Don Quixote of Don Quixote
Character trait that reminds me of myself: dreaminess







What characters remind you of yourself?





 The Book Blogger Hop was originally created by Jennifer @ Crazy-For-Books in March 2010 and ended on December 31, 2012. With Jennifer's permission, I relaunched the hop on February 15, 2013. Each week the hop will start on a Friday and end the following Thursday. There will be a weekly prompt featuring a book related question. The hop's purpose is to give bloggers a chance to follow other blogs, learn about new books, befriend other bloggers, and receive new followers to your own blog. 

30 comments:

  1. How fun! I'm definitely with you and Hermoine on know-it-all-ness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how organized your list was. Good job with it.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have some of the same ones! Don Quixote is a good one as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being like DQ can get one in a mess of trouble sometimes.

      Delete
  4. I should really have added Bilbo to mine too. Great list! ๐Ÿ˜Š
    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hermione reminds me of myself as well!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2019/05/07/top-ten-tuesday-210/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a theory that we all secretly have a HP character we connect to.

      Delete
  6. Love how you pointed out the specific traits! I'm with you on Hermoine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I should have included Luna. I feel connected to Luna, too.

      Delete
  7. Great list! It's so neat that you chose the specific traits. I think Bilbo is an interesting one, and I can definitely relate to that!

    Here's my TTT post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bilbo is comfortable in his life, and I am as well. I am not a big one for adventure. Yet I do love adventures once I actually get on the road.

      Delete
  8. Frog and Toad! I love both of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that you took one characteristic of each character to relate to yourself. I don't see myself in characters, but definitely see my daughter in Hermione. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best list I've seen all day. I really had a hard time this week because I love characters as they are written but they are obviously not as complex as a real person (me) Characters like me, a bit

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bellezza from Dolce Bellezza had trouble commenting, and she oh-so-kindly emailed me her comments. I'm posting them here.

    Your first paragraph caught me by the throat because that is one of the defining things that makes a book for me. I MUST feel that I can relate to, or at least have a connection with, the characters. And then you mention Meg, one of the first connections I ever made (when I was 11 years old). I don’t suppose it bodes well for me that I also connect to Anna (in Anna Karenina) as she was an adulterous, suicidal woman...the part that I connected with is falling so irrationally in love that it messes with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'm not sure anyone can really connect to a head-on-straight character. It seems to be character's flaws that snag our attention.

      Delete
  12. I like how you included Alice and Don Quixote. Not every book that I adore contains characters that are like me, but I do like it when characters are sympathetic, even when we don't have much in common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed I even felt a bit of sympathy tonight for Thanos when we were watching the Avengers movie.

      Delete
  13. I truly love how you organize every one of your TTT posts; and this one is no different! I can easily see myself having many of yours on my list (and I do have some of them).. I was that Hermione as well...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm Hermione in the know-it-allness answer everything in class, in college (I know I annoyed some of my professors) and some bookishness (different from hers rather).

    Frog and Toad, oh my, memories. I have to say I'm more Toad.

    I looked at traits for part of my list although mine isn't so neatly organized as your list, I like how you took the topic and your format.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great list! I almost put Bilbo on my list too for that exact same reason. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I couldn't think how to approach this one, but if I'd seen your post earlier, I would totally have stolen your method. Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't participate in this week's BBHOP, but if I did, I think I would have had to follow your example. Great answer, Deb. I cannot think of one character, but I can think of bits of many. Love your examples. Thank you for sharing! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your list! I chose Bella from Twilight, but I completely forgot about Hermione, so I should change my answer haha!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.