Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Cookbook: Pastry for Beginners


I feel confident baking many things. Cookies are something I've baked all my life. My Grandma Ashley's biscuit recipe is brilliant. Quick breads are a snap. I've made a million yeast rolls. I've loved making delicious homemade pie crust. I've even dared to make empanadas and clafoutis and kolaches.

I boldly call myself a baker.

Pastry? Do I make pastry? Well, yes, pies and little tarts. I've made cinnamon rolls and yeast rolls.

What about puff pastry? Choux pastry?

Here I deflate. No. I haven't ever tried making puff pastry or choux pastry. They looked a bit, well, daunting.

Then Pastry for Beginners arrived. I read over the recipe for puff pastry.

I think I can.

Puff Pastry Master Recipe


(Note: The recipe says that prep time is 45 minutes, with another 1 hour and 30 minutes for chilling time. Maybe I will eventually get the time down to that, but I worked on my dough for more than four hours.)


I begin by slicing a stick of butter lengthwise into thirds. 


I lay the strips of butter on a piece of parchment paper about the length of a baking sheet, making a 4-by-5 rectangle. I gently press the butter together. The butter goes into the freezer to chill while I prepare the dough.


In a large bowl, I whisk 1 1/2 cups flour with 1/4 teaspoon salt. I make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add 2 tablespoons of melted butter and 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice. I use my hands to slowly fold the flour into the center. Then I add 1/2 cup ice-cold water and continue to mix and knead until a smooth dough forms.


I dust a clean surface and a rolling pin with flour, and place the dough ball on the floured counter, working it back and forth from the center, rolling it into an 8-by-10-inch rectangle. I then place the butter layer on top of the dough rectangle so that the corners of the butter point to the edges of the dough. 




I fold the corners of the dough over the butter like an envelope. Then I cover it with plastic wrap and chill it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.



When I bring the dough out of the refrigerator, it is time to laminate the dough. I dust it and the clean surface with a little bit of flour. I roll out the dough, to create a 12-by-15-inch rectangle. It is, of course, difficult to roll the chilled dough. I lift one short end of the dough and fold it to the center of the rectangle. Then I fold the other short end over the first to create a letter fold. I turn the dough 90 degrees, the first turn. I roll the dough out again into a 12-by-15-inch rectangle and fold it into a letter again. I cover it and freeze it for 20 minutes. On and on I go. I remove the dough and place it on the surface so that the long edge is parallel to the counter. I roll it out again to a 12-by-15-inch rectangle. I fold it again and rotate it 90 degrees. Again I roll it out into the rectangle and complete one more fold. I place it in the freezer for 20 minutes. Finally, I complete two more turns, fold it, and then chill it in the refrigerator for at least an hour.


Now the dough is ready to be used.

I'm going to use it to make Strawberries and Cream Danish.

I start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees F. I line the baking sheet with parchment paper and spray it with nonstick spray.



To make the filling, I blend cream cheese and sugar in a bowl. Then I add one large egg yolk, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. I mix these together, careful not to whip the mixture.



I take the dough out of the refrigerator and unfold the sheet. I cut it into a 10-by-10-inch square. I cut the sheet evenly into 9 squares and place the squares on the baking sheet. I cut an inner square on the inside of each square by lightly pressing a knife about 1/2 inch from the edge.


I place 1 heaping teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture into the center of each square.


I put half of a strawberry in the center of the cream cheese mixture, cut-side down. I place the baking sheet in the refrigerator for fifteen minutes.

I make an egg wash by whisking 1 large egg with 1 teaspoon of water. I remove the Danish from the refrigerator. I brush the edges of each pastry with the egg wash.


I bake the pastries for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown. The pastries cool for about 15 minutes before serving. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.


I'm pretty happy with the Strawberries and Cream Danish. I am very happy with the layers.




For more wordless photos, go to Wordless Wednesday.

Saturday Snapshot is hosted by A Web of Stories. To participate in Saturday Snapshot: post a photo that you (or a friend or family member) have taken and then leave a direct link to your post in the Mister Linky at A Web of Stories.

Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. You do not have to post on the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.

23 comments:

  1. I was scared of making pasty, but over the last couple of years I have made shortcrust and rough puff pastry, but still haven't tried choux!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Choux pastry looks even more daunting than puff pastry. I hope to try it later this year.

      Delete
  2. Oh my, that Danish looks wonderful! I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an incredible amount of work. But I feel a sense of satisfaction that I did it.

      Delete
  3. i have never been a good cook, but i used to be a great baker. now....not so much.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm seriously impressed! I've made choux a few times but puff has always scared me off. The results look amazing though! How do you feel like the homemade compared to the store bought frozen puff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried the store bought frozen puff, so I can't compare. This was not sweet but it was wonderfully buttery.

      Delete
  5. Wow you are a baker! Pastry too. I'm very impressed. beautiful danishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This cookbook was perfect for a first try at puff pastry. I hope to try choux one day.

      Delete
  6. Woa, I'm impressed. I've never made a choux pastry either and I cheat with puff pastry with this recipe https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/rough-puff-pastry. Works every time :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your recipe for puff pastry. I think they call that rough puff pastry.

      Delete
  7. That looks like so much fun, but I wouldn't try it. I'm a decent cook who likes to improvise and combine recipes. Baking to me is too scientific; you have to measure exactly, use the correct temperature of your ingredients, and stick to the ingredient list. I'm glad you're enjoying it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know people think baking is scientific, and maybe it is, but I'm not really one for measuring exactly or using the correct temperatures or sticking to the ingredients list.

      Delete
  8. I don't understand why you cut out the middle squares. Did you throw away the outer edge? Or is it part of the final pastry? In any case those look delicious!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did it that way because that's what they told me in the book. But I would not do it that way again. I'd simply divide it into nine similarly-sized squares.

      Delete
  9. Looks interesting, but I've given up on baking in the last 10 years. Never ever attempted making pastry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I consider myself a baker too but pastry totally defeats me. I can use the box of pastry, go figure.

    Now that my husband is gluten free I am even more frustrated!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks amazing! I'm a little scared of puff pastry, but maybe I will try this sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely too complicated for me, but if you ever need someone to sample...

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.