Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Bookish Discoveries I Made In 2019

What bookish discoveries did I make in 2019? I learned many important things.




1. I took over Sunday Salon in early 2019 and the weekend of Sunday Salon is now my favorite part of the week. I thank everyone who has linked up on Sunday Salon and I invite all book bloggers to link up and join the conversations. 




2. I love doing bookish events. I took part in Multicultural Children's Book Day, Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon, Classic Club Spins, 24 in 48 Readathon, Paris in July, 20 Books of Summer, #bookaday, Moby Dick Readalong, Women in Translation Month, Thankfully Reading Weekend, Nonfiction November, and A Month of Favs. I'm now on the lookout for other bookish events. Please let me know about any you run across. 




3. I might be more of a nonfiction reader than a fiction reader. I certainly enjoyed Nonfiction November. I read more nonfiction than fiction last year. And now I have a list of over 100 nonfiction titles I want to read.


4. There is no better way to find good books than to see what your blogger friends are reading. Absolutely. No. Better. Way. 


5. I could give up tv (and have). I could give up candy (and have). I could give up coffee (if I had to). I could never stop reading books.




What bookish discoveries have you made last year? 
Which discoveries are most important?




Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

22 comments:

  1. Love these. I apparently can't read dates, so I didn't realize this was the theme this week. Maybe I'll think about it for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on the recommendations - once you find a blogger who has taste similar to yours.

    I've come to enjoy nonfiction so much in the last few years and need to see what my fiction:nonfiction ratio was last year.

    I could give up TV and candy and don't drink coffee so I'm with you on #5 too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fabulous to find bloggers who have similar reading tastes to ours...and you are an excellent example of one of those for me.

      Delete
  3. I'm a recent participant in the Sunday Salon and enjoy it!
    I could never give up reading, not since the moment when my mother brought me to the library, got me a library card and let me check out armloads of chapter books. I felt like I'd learned the world's secret to happiness!

    I too have found out in last couple of years that I love a good nonfiction, long journalism article, biography, travelogue, foodie memoir, and the like. It is eye-opening to see how many titles I've passed over that would satisfy my reading habit. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you have joined Sunday Salon.

      I think you are right about finding the secret to happiness.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. We inspire each other, I think, to do more and read more deeply.

      Delete
  5. I couldn't give up reading books either. I don't drink coffee, I'm more of a tea drinker so I could give coffee up. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a good reminder for me to see the names of book events (readathons, etc) as I really do enjoy them, but tend to forget about them until they are almost on top of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to make a calendar for the year with all the book events penciled in.

      Delete
  7. Nice list. And I loved the Sunday Salon concept. If Sundays were not such hit and miss days, I'd totally join the boat. Since they are, I might lurk for a bit before committing.

    Thanks for visiting at The Book Wielding Harpie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I post the link on Saturday and run it through Monday. You are welcome to join in at any time.

      Delete
  8. Hmmm....coffee vs. reading....reading wins by a nose, but please don't make me give up my coffee! Ha! I do agree that blogging and finding like-minded friends here has opened up my reading world considerably.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My discovery last year was that I read a lot of debut novelists ... and didn't realize it. It's sort of nice ... as writers often put their all into book #1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is true. I wonder if the problem is the two-book deal, common in publishing. The first book is amazing and the second book, already purchased and with a deadline, is not so much.

      Delete
  10. I'm reading a lot more nonfiction, too.

    Maybe more of a 2020 discovery, but I've found a couple of literary podcasts that I'm quickly becoming addicted to. The first is What Should I Read Next and the other is He Read She Read. My TBR list is growing by leaps and bounds. So many great books out there that I've never heard about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned a little about podcasts in my writing class last summer, but I haven't really been listening to them. Thank you for the reminder, Les.

      Delete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.