Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Books I Wish I Had Read As a Child

I read a lot of books when I was a child, and I had wonderful school and public libraries when I was a child, but I still missed a lot of great books. Here are some I wish I had read as a child.




BOOKS I MISSED AS A CHILD BECAUSE THEY WEREN'T WRITTEN YET

Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
The Adventures of Treehorn by Florence Parry Heide, illustrated by Edward Gorey
Frog and Toad are Friends by Arnold Lobel
The Giver by Louis Lowry
I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen
The Napping House by Audrey Wood, illustrated by Don Wood
King Bidgood's in the Bathtub by Audrey Wood, illustrated by Don Wood
Press Here by Herve Tullet
Redwall by Brian Jacques
Where is the Green Sheep? by Mem Fox, illustrated by Judy Horacek
The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor
Parvana's Journey by Deborah Ellis
The Summer Book by Tove Jansson
I am the Messenger by Marcus Zusak
Skellig by David Almond
Not Now, Bernard by David McKee
Crocodile Beat by Gail Jorgensen
Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling
The BFG by Roald Dahl
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
The Duck in the Gun by Joy Cowley
Mr. Fox by Gavin Bishop
Mister Magnolia by Quentin Blake





BOOKS I MISSED AS A CHILD BECAUSE THEY WERE NOT TRANSLATED INTO ENGLISH YET OR THEY JUST WEREN'T AVAILABLE HERE IN AMERICA

Viking's Dawn by Henry Treece
The Rose and the Ring by William Makepeace Thackeray
The Letter for the King by Tonke Dragt
The Ship That Flew by Hilda Lewis
Tow-Truck Pluk by Annie M. G. Schmidt
The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff
Just William by Richmal Crompton
Worzel Gummidge by Barbara Euphan Todd
A Long Way from Verona by Jane Gardam
The Dolphin Crossing by Jill Paton Walsh
Ash Road by Ivan Southall
The Adventures of Polly and the Wolf by Catherine Storr
Hairy Maclary by Lynley Dodd
Hobberty Dick by Katharine M. Briggs
Milly-Molly-Mandy Stories by Joyce Lankester Brisley
Five Children and It by E. Nesbit
The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawn by Norman Hunter
The Elephant and the Bad Baby by Elfrida Vipont
The Church Mice by Graham Oakley
Old Bear by Jane Hissey




BOOKS I MISSED AS A CHILD BECAUSE...WELL, I DON'T KNOW WHY I MISSED THEM!

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
The 13 Clocks by James Thurber
Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery
The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes
My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett
The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
The Mouse and His Child by Russell Hoban
The Biggest Bear by Lynd Ward
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis
Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans


Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

18 comments:

  1. I've read quite a few of your "weren't available in America" ones, the Treece, Sutcliffe and Paton Walsh ones (all of theirs) being particular favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read a few from your first and third lists but am making a note of some of them. Thanks for an informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! These are some lists! Lol. Quite a lot are new to me ones too!


    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where the sidewalk Ends is a good one. What they have for kids today is remarkable. https://pmprescott.blogspot.com/2020/04/ttt-042820.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you thought of a lot! How many of these books have you read as an adult? I really loved Where the Sidewalk Ends when I was a kid.

    Thanks for stopping by my post earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should have put Because of Winn-Dixie on my list. It seems like the absolutely perfect book for me, but I missed the sweet spot to read it by just a few years. Still looks good, but I don't think it will lock in the way it might have otherwise.

    Overall, once again an excellent selection. So many of my happiest childhood reads here -- Anne of course, but also The Hundred Dresses, My Father's Dragon, Madeline, and one I have not seen mentioned in an age, Church Mice! What beautiful illustrations those books had. They were library checkouts only, but they probably would have been wise investments, so often were they checked out.

    Ooh, and Hairy Maclary. I just remembered that book a few weeks ago; I can't believe I ever forgot about that darling little scruffball, and am flabbergasted that Harry the Dirty Dog is the more iconic dog by this name (or its pronunciation, at least).

    Almost forgot about Fantastic Mr. Fox, which my 4th grade teacher read aloud with fantastic voice work. Lastly, pretty sure Old Bear is responsible for my utter refusal, for years, to agree that the attic was a reasonable compromise to giving up my toys altogether. To be fair, The Velveteen Rabbit had probably already primed me to care too much about my stuffed animals' feelings, but I am sure this one did not help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked this list.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved so many of these when I was a kid!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2020/04/28/top-ten-tuesday-261/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to read Because of Winn-Dixie, mostly because it's about a dog and also because I live in Florida and Winn-Dixie is one of my favorite grocery stores.

    I loved The Hundred Dresses and The Hound of the Baskervilles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would have loved Shel Silverstein when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His books were always the favorites in my school libraries.

      Delete
  11. Superb list. I missed some of these too--I think they were out of "style" at that moment in the early 70s when I'd have read some of them like Narnia (which I probably would not have liked much) or Anne which I read as an adult and loved. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved Where the Sidewalk Ends. We had that one in my house as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Frog and Toad was one of my daughter's favorites; we read it so many times!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I still haven't read a few from your third list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had been confused for quite some time about why I didn't remember Matilda better. I finally decided to re-read it and figured it out--I'd never read it because it was published after my childhood! I'd somehow thought of Dahl as being slightly dated by the time I was reading his books.

    Frog & Toad and Where the Sidewalk Ends were significant in my childhood reading, as were Madeline, Anne, Phantom Tollbooth, Narnia, and The 100 Dresses. Jacqueline Woodson's Each Kindness reminded me so strongly of that one.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.