Thursday, April 23, 2020

Does It Count? Yes or No?



I've been working diligently to read as many of the 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up as I can. I've now read 700 of the 1001 books.

I've faced many challenges along the way. Many of the books on the list are tricky to find. I've had dilemmas that I had to resolve. Here are some of the most difficult:


DOES IT COUNT?  YES OR NO?


PROBLEM?
I found a book in the right series,
but it isn't the exact book listed in 1001 Children's Books.

DOES IT COUNT? YES OR NO?
Yes. I decided to count any book in the series
if it is a picture book.


PROBLEM?
It's the right series, but it's not the exact book.
It's a picture book version.

DOES IT COUNT?  YES OR NO?
No. I think I will keep trying to find the original version of the book.



PROBLEM?
It's the right book, but it's not in English.

DOES IT COUNT?  YES OR NO?
Yes. I decided to go ahead and read books in other languages
(1) if the book was a picture book with limited text that I could easily translate online and
(2) if I was unable to find a copy in English.
So far, I've "read" books in 
Spanish, French, Italian, German, and Japanese. 
(The Japanese book was "read" by following the story in the pictures.)



PROBLEM?
It's the right book, but it's not in English.

DOES IT COUNT? YES OR NO?
No. It's 340 pages. In Italian.



PROBLEM?
It's the right book, but it has the wrong title.

DOES IT COUNT? YES OR NO?
Yes. I think it is the same as The Big Birkett.




PROBLEM?
It's the right book, but it is written in the wrong format. 
This book is written as a play.

DOES IT COUNT? YES OR NO?
I'm not sure. What do you think? 


I have 301 books left to read. Many are not available in English. Many are not available in America. Some seem to be impossible to find in the world. 

How will I read these 301 books?










19 comments:

  1. Such dilemmas? I would count the play if I couldn't find the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your project is impressive! I assume you are frustrated at the moment by the shut-down in library access.

    One thing I know about access: our local university library (University of Michigan) has a very large collection of children's books. Of course not accessible now, but perhaps there's a way you could look at the scanned images on google books. I know that at the start of the project, google had a whole outfit outside of town and took shelf after shelf of books out for scanning.

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried Google Books. I don't know why. I will look into that. Thank you for that idea, Mae.

      Delete
  3. I think the original idea is to become familiar with the story; hence, even if it is in a different format, it should count.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these book dilemmas. Definitely count the last one. As Ruth says, the idea is to become acquainted with the author, the illustrator, and the story so different formats, titles, covers, languages should not count against them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's also difficult to evaluate the books. I'm sure the original readers, reading the book in its original language, have a far different experience than modern readers, reading in translation, reading in a different time period.

      Delete
  5. Plays definitely count. You have chosen a daunting task, girlfriend' .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bravo! I am so impressed. You are one of the most eclectic readers I know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh interesting! I agree with all your decisions and distinctions. As for the bottom one I think it counts. You'll be able to get the story and a feel for everything regardless of the format.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I would count the books I read in a different language as long as it embodies the essence why the book is in the list. I took a look at the list when you first mentioned reading this list and had the same dilemma -- I have no idea how to get my hands on some of these books. Maybe someone reading your blog may have the copy and you can borrow?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Normally I wouldn't count a play as having read the book, but in the context of this project I think you're right to do so. I am working my way through the 1001 Albums list and have had to decide if being strict was more important than the idea and intent of the challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had all these same problems of course! For me the wrong book in a series doesn't count (but that's just a reflection of my obsessiveness...) Although I do like Ruth's comment about the intent of the list (but that doesn't sway my no on the wrong book). That Lisa Shanahan book is definitely the same, and certainly does count. I'm not sure about the play for When the Wind Blows. It is written by Raymond Briggs still, so that's good. Although WTWB is a graphic novel. That's a tough one. And I've never resolved myself to the fact that she included SO MANY books that had never been translated into English. Sure, recognise those books, but put them in as interesting addendums, not as core content! Oops, bit of a rant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thank you for your thoughts. At this point, I shall count anything that comes even close.

      Delete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.