Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Made Me Look: Book Titles I'm Glad Made Me Take a Second Look

I read one last week.


The Portable Veblen? Huh? And what is with the squirrel on the cover?

Had to read it. 

The main character, I soon learn, is named Veblen. Veblen is the name of a (famous?) economist, too. 

And again I ask: What is with the squirrel on the cover?

A quirky title, a quirky cover, a quirky book. This one is going on my list of favorite reads ever.


A Swim in a Pond in the Rain by George Saunders. It's kind-of like taking a class on Russian literature by reading about it.

When You Trap a Tiger. The 2021 Newbery. And she does try to trap a tiger. In a house. 

The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements. Need I say more?




The World's Poorest President Speaks Out. It's a picture book. And it's a speech from the president of a country who refuses to get rich from his office. It's quite hopeful.

How to Be Happy (Or At Least Less Sad). A workbook that works. 

Gathering Moss. Really? I can hear you say. A book about moss? I know, I know, but trust me, it's amazing.




The Salt Path. What is a salt path? And who made this beautiful cover?

Humans * of New York * Paris * St. Petersburg * Hong Kong * Amsterdam * Juba * Santiago * Karachi * Acra * Buenos Aires * Berlin * Calcutta * Bogata * Lima * Jaipur * Rio de Janeiro * Johannesburg * Dohuk * Singapore * Seoul * Tokyo * Warsaw * Mumbai * Medellin * Barcelona * Madrid * Tabriz * Jammu * Odessa * Dhaka * Cairo * Jerusalem * Bankok * Florence * Sao Paolo * Rosario * Lencois * Sydney * Toronto * Abu Dhabi * Nairobi * Jakarta * Montreal * Amma Alexandria * Bariloche * Rome * Cordoba * Lagos * London * Manila * Kampala Erbil * Melbourne * Auckland * Passu * Tehran * Anzali * Akwamufie * Saigon * Mexico City * Bay of Islands * Moscow * Montevideo * and More. People from all around the world share little tales from their lives. With lovely photos.

Good Morning, Monster. A therapist relates the stories of clients who had terrible lives. Some really awful growing-up years for these folks, but, happily, they did find a fabulous therapist who helped them. 




Top Ten Tuesday was created by 
The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

42 comments:

  1. Really interesting choice of books. I have The Disappearing Spoon and am looking forward reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved The Disappearing Spoon. I learned a lot about the elements.

      Delete
  2. The Portable Veblen sounds so funny!

    My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-funny-book-titles/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved Good Morning Monster but, wow, some of those individuals really had some heartbreaking pasts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay... this is a great list. Good Morning Monster appeals to me bc I think the title is so funny but bc the inside sounds great. As a psychology major.. I am really interested in reading this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you will enjoy reading this book as a psychology major.

      Delete
  5. Okay. You got me. I have to read The Portable Veblen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you enjoy it, Dorothy. I can see that most people either love it or hate it.

      Delete
  6. How to be happy (or at least less sad) is brilliant! Wha ha ha!! I also have no idea why there is a squirrel on the cover of your first book. Doesn't make sense. If it was a fluffy white kitten, it would have made much more sense!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had the exact same thoughts before reading Veblen. ;) I'm always happy to see it get some attention. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! What an eclectic collection. I am reading "Pond" now and learning so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Uh, with my new found appreciation of the outdoors, Gathering Moss sounds amazing. I just added it to my GoodReads list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard lots of great things about Braiding Sweetgrass by the same author.

      Delete
  10. Ooh! Gathering Moss is on my to-buy -eventually list. And how interesting to see a sociologist like Veblen on a book title!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Disappearing Spoon is on my TBR. I love that cover but the title was the one that made me take a second look at it. These are all great and now I want to try A Swim in the Pond in the Rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt like I got to read and discuss a nice chunk of the best of Russian literature.

      Delete
  12. I'm so disappointed that the squirrel wasn't engaging in conspicuous consumption of acorns instead of hoarding them.

    be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good choice of books, some are already on my TBR and The disappearing spoon will be joining them shortly !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Living in a forest in Oregon, I really should get a copy of Gathering Moss. It grows everywhere here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. All of these titles sound so interesting! So much variety just for whatever mood you are in!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A few months back one of the podcasts I listen to had the author of Gathering Moss as a guest. You're right, it's quite fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are interesting titles! Fun post, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The only book on your list that I've read is Humans. I love following his Instagram.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love a good quirky cover or title! :)

    How To Be Happy (Or At LEast Les Sad) looks like a practical book! And for some reason I like that egg on the cover of Good Morning, Monster.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am adding ALL of these books on my TBR, especially the ones you say are your favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great twist on the topic. Lovely titles. I love the idea of the book about the poorest president.

    Thanks for visiting my TTT earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Some really interesting sounding books here Deb. I have only heard of the Salt Path, so might be checking out library availability for some of the others, they sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the Humans stories. I've only seen the Humans of New York ones on social media but just love what Brandon has done to share the lives of everyday people in such a simple yet lovely way.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Neat idea of post! I'm so excited I have a copy of George Saunders waiting for me at the library!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such fun. I do love The Salt Path cover!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ughhhhh....I kind of need every book in this post now. Sighs and runs off to add to Goodreads.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.