Thursday, March 18, 2021

What's Going on In My America? Part Two, In Search of the Common Good

What’s going on in my America?

For a long time now, I’ve felt like I’ve somehow woken up and found myself on the bad side of It’s a Wonderful Life.


Call me naive. I grew up in the fifties and sixties. I lived in a small town. There was a sense of everyone helping each other to do better. People were demonstrating for change, and changes were taking place across the country. There was a feeling of hopefulness, that even if things weren’t perfect, they were getting better, that people cared about each other and about the world. To paraphrase JFK, our motivation was to ask not for what the world could do for us, but for what we could do for the world.


Now let’s move forward forty years.


I look around now and what do I see? Bold out-and-out lying in public discourse. A huge part of the population that feels it has no part in the conversation. Elected officials who head to warmer climates during an emergency in the state in which they serve. A president who asserts, against all evidence, that the election was stolen from him, and who riles up common people to the extent that they invade the buildings where people meet to form the laws, threatening to kill the leaders of our government. People who ignore scientists and refuse to wear a mask or get vaccinated to protect themselves and the vulnerable. Black people who are killed by police officers or incarcerated at an extraordinarily high rate. Immigrants who are being shut out and villanized. The rich with more wealth than they could ever spend in their lives who continue to press for tax breaks and other legislation that would allow them to accumulate ever more wealth, while the working poor struggle to provide for their family on a minimum wage that fails to keep up with inflation. I could go on and on…


I’ve sought out books to help me sort all of this out. 


Alienated America: Why Some Places Thrive While Others Collapse by Timothy P. Carney


Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community by Robert D. Putnam

 

Our Towns: A 100,000 Journey Into the Heart of America by James M. and Deborah Fallows


Love Your Enemies: How Decent People Can Save America from the Culture of Contempt by Arthur C. Brooks

 

I shared my thoughts on these books here. 

 

These books were extremely helpful in my understanding of the anger I sense in others as well as in helping me to have good conversations with others. But it’s more than just my conversations with others that need help, I think. 

 

I look to these two books:


The System: Who Rigged It, How We Fix It by Robert B. Reich

 

The Tyranny of Merit: What’s Become of the Common Good? by Michael J. Sandel

 

By page six, Robert B. Reich in The System has already shared this quote from New York magazine’s Frank Rich: “Everything in the country is broken. Not just Washington, which failed to prevent the financial catastrophe and has done little to protect us from the next, but also race relations, health care, education, institutional religion, law enforcement, the physical infrastructure, the news media, the bedrock virtues of civility and community.” Reich goes on to say, “He might have added the environment and our democracy.”

 

Wow. 

 

Reich looks at the roots of all these problems and he finds the source of the problem in those who control money and, consequently, power, in our country. He quotes activist Greta Thunberg: “If everyone is guilty, then no one is to blame. And someone is to blame. Some people---some companies and some decision-makers in particular---have known exactly what priceless values they are sacrificing to continue making unimaginable amounts of money.”

 

Reich shares some horrifying wealth inequality statistics. “ Between 1980 and 2019, the share of the nation’s total household income going to the richest 1 percent more than doubled, while the earnings of the bottom 90 percent barely rose….the richest 0.1 percent...own almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent of households combined.” And, worse, “All this has been accompanied by a dramatic increase in the political power of the super-wealthy and an equally dramatic decline in the political influence of everyone else.”

 

Whew. Can we go on? I feel we must. 

 

“As long as they control the purse strings, the oligarchs know there will be no substantial tax increases for them. Instead, their taxes will fall. There will be no antitrust enforcement to puncture the power of their giant corporations. Instead, their corporations will grow larger….Government will provide even more corporate subsidies, bailouts, and loan guarantees. It will continue to eliminate protections for consumers, workers, and the environment. It will become a government for, of, and by the oligarchy.”

 

Oh dear.

 

“If democracy were working as it should, government officials would make the rules roughly according to what most citizens want them to be. They would also take into account the interests of the poor and of minorities, and give them a fair chance to make it as well. The system would be working for all of us. In a vicious cycle, though, the rules are made mainly by those with the power and wealth to buy the politicians, regulatory heads, and even the courts (and the lawyers who appear before them). As income and wealth concentrate at the top, so does political leverage.”

 

Reich asserts that America is not “suffering a breakdown in private morality. To the contrary, it’s burdened by a breakdown in public morality.”

 

How does Reich suggest that we get out of this mess? He dreams of a multiracial, multiethnic coalition of Americans in the bottom 90 percent of the population who come together based on “a common understanding of what it means to be a citizen with responsibilities for the greater good.” He goes on to say, “The reason to fight oligarchy is not just to obtain a larger share of the economic winnings; it is to make democracy function so that we can achieve all the goals we hold in common.” His call to action is, “Democracy will prevail, if we fight for it.” 

 

Michael J. Sandel is also quite bleak in his assessment of America. He arrives at his conclusions about the state of the nation from his years of experience teaching at one of our nation’s most revered institutions. Sandel looks at the turbulence among our people, and he, like Reich, believes the problems stem from the divisions between those who control the money and power in our country and those who seem to have none. Sandel shows how our fundamental philosophy of belief in a meritocracy, in a system where those who are smart and powerful deserve to be smarter and more powerful, is flawed. He convincingly shows how closely SAT scores and IQ points are tied to income, how coming from wealth leads to more wealth, how few people in our society move from poverty to affluence. It’s not enough, he tells us, to simply open the door a little wider, to let in a few more of the poor into opportunities to obtain wealth. It’s the underlying philosophy, he says, that must be changed, to strip away both the unwarranted hubris of the haves and the sense of inferiority and failure from the have-nots. Sandel and Reich agree that we need to recenter ourselves on the idea of a common good. Sandel hopes to promote the idea of people as producers rather than consumers, to restore the idea of the dignity of work, and to create policies that allow workers to find good jobs that support strong families and communities. Sandel strongly condemns the financial industry, noting that “much financial activity hinders rather than promotes economic growth.” He would act by “discouraging speculation and honoring productive labor.”

 

I’m no politician; I’m simply a regular citizen who would like to make things better. These books have helped me understand (a bit) the workings of our complex economy and government and have given me ideas about ways to act to promote our common good. My sense of hopefulness is growing.

 

At least that’s a start.


 

 What are your thoughts about the state of America?

Do you have ideas about ways we can recenter America on the idea of the common good?

How can we end the divisiveness among Americans?

Have you read any good books you'd suggest for me?

21 comments:

  1. This was educative. And illuminating. And frightening. Because America is a world power and it generally used to lead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very hopeful about the election of Biden. There is great wealth in America, and wealth brings with it the ability to do things. I hope that a shift can be made and a focus can be upon improving things for the public good.

      Delete
  2. I'm no American, so I won't judge the United States, but I feel the same has been happening during the last 10-20 years in France. Politicans and oligarchy hand in hand, the poor, helpless, unemployed, always blamed - "the culture of contempt" speaks to me. When last year in march, we didn't have enough masks, we were told we didn't need them and besides, we wouldn't know how to wear them properly ! When our President answered an unemployed man that he just had "to cross the street" to find work when there are so many unemployed people and so little jobs available in comparison. I'm a civil servant, my reputation in France is that I earn a lot and don't work much, when by working as a librarian, I provide people with books without them having to pay for it, I'm helping bring knowledge to all those who wish to learn. The same goes for retired people who have spent their entire life working, and yet the news are trying to show them as parasites. There is less and less money for the public system, there are less and less civil servants who are asked to work more. Everything goes through internet now, the older people can't find someone, a person, in front of them to answer their questions. The media are owned by a small number of people from the oligarchy, and of course they reflect their opinion. The covid crisis scares me because a lot of money has been engaged to fight the virus, but who is going to pay for this afterward ? Rich people or little us ? What planet, what supposedly democratic system am I leaving to my children ? When I retire, because I do wish to retire in a few years, because I've worked all my life and taken care of my family all my life, because retirement means freedom to me, freedom to do what I wish when I want to without being disturbed all the time, I want to join an association that works for a better society, for helping people. I don't know exactly what, but I want to be useful. I don't know if that will change society, but it's better than not doing anything. Sorry for the bad mood, I feel a bit down these days !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds as if it is much the same in France. And don't apologize for the bad mood; I've been in the same bad mood for a long time. We desperately need some strong leadership who are advocating for all the people worldwide.

      Delete
  3. i avoid many books because of current events. it's bad enough seeing it on tv, as i try to avoid the news. i knew when obama got elected a lot of the countries issues would be exposed, and even more so when trump was elected. being older, i can only be impressed by the young people, and so many others, stepping up and demanding things change. it can be discouraging, but if people don't stand up, no matter how frustrating the results may seem, nothing will ever change
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Sherry. It's wearying, but we must stand up.

      Delete
  4. I am so with you on wanting the broken fixed. I have a love-hate relationship with the news. I feel like I have to know what's happening -- to ignore it is to forget, ignore or buy into complacency. Yet it is so deeply depressing on just about every level. The most recent intelligence report on Russia/election sent me into a mix of anger and depression and confusion. I've never heard so many say "What has happened to our country?" I've heard excellent things about the Reich book from many. The Sandel is new to me. Thanks for speaking of all of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Jeanie. In many ways, I feel like having strong journalists in our country has saved us from all the lies and exaggerations we hear from outside sources that include other countries and fake news creators. I hope we can work together to make things better and to step away from the nastiness of the last few years.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic post! It makes me feel good knowing there are others out there who feel like me. And I think economics is a huge base of what is going on. Having become an in the '80s, I saw first hand how the disparity of wealth in this country was increasing and leaving many behind. People don't like losing what they have and when people scapegoat immigrants, BIPOC, PGBTQIA, women and other marginalized groups, it's an easy answer for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Helen. Angry people who have lost what they had want someone to blame. Instead of blaming the rich, who have increasingly kept larger and larger amounts of the pie and who have refused ways (raising minimum wage, cutting taxes for the poor) to help those who are not rich. And it does help us all to feel like we are all in this together for the good of all.

      Delete
  6. Great post! As I was reading, I had a thought - I don't have any research to back me up nor have I explored this angle yet, but I wonder if things were better and more positive in the past because news in general, took time to spread. That and we weren't as over-populated then as we are now. This is of course, more an excuse than a reasoning, of course. Social media has made it easier to spread virulent thoughts and make people angrier but it's shouldn't be thought of as the reason for it.

    In one respect, I'm glad to be in today's United States. Yes, it's noisier, ruder, and also more xenophobic than in the past, but it's also realizing that one shouldn't other Black or Brown people, or assume that one knows how the suppressed people feel. I want to believe that right now things are so bad because they needed to get bad before they can get better. I am encouraged by the number of good conversations around (of course, there is an equal increase in the number of bad conversations as well).

    Anyways, I'm rambling. When I came to the US years ago, I never thought that someone could one day question my very existence or right to be here. More than anything, I want this country to settle down and stop assuming that there is a default and then an other, be it with race, sex, ability, skin color, beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's part of it. News is negative, as a whole, and it is a constant in our modern lives. We are swimming in constant negativity.

      I agree completely, Athira. "...I want this country to settle down and stop assuming that there is a default and then an other...." Beautifully said.

      Delete
  7. Excellent commentary and analysis and an interesting selection of books to learn more about the sources of the problem and perhaps how to fix it. I think you speak for many of us who feel that we've been living on the wrong side of "It's a Wonderful Life" these last few years. I believe things are getting better but it will take much effort to achieve the kind of country that we can truly be proud to be a part of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am determined to make an effort to try to achieve that.

      Delete
  8. It's no wonder that so many people are depressed. There's plenty to be depressed about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Mary. But we can't let things stay this way.

      Delete
  9. You are brave to face these issues head-on. Although congress has been working hard to address a few of them, I'm not sure just how we could expect our leadership to respond, or how we can act on the knowledge that it's so easy to manipulate and victimize many people.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reading all the comments carefully, it is obvious you are not alone in the way you feel. Not to add to the negativity, but things don't seem to be getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terrific post Deb, unfortunately we are also heading in the same direction with our current government.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes to all of this! I'm with you. I have a hard time reading these types of books, but since January 20 have felt at least a lightening of the load so can tackle things that stress me out. Before there was way too much stress to take any more on, but there's still work to be done so more engagement is needed by all of us who see the need.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for sharing this. I don't know how to fix all of this but I feel like things have been changing so much in the last years. And, I wonder is it because I'm older now and see this or is it because social media makes it easier to find out about these things that happen. I don't know but I feel like our leaders are just pointing fingers and without having constructive conversations and trying to find solutions. Thank you for sharing the titles as well!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.