Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Hurricanes! Best Books About the Worst Storms

I've been through five memorable hurricanes. 

The first was Hurricane Carla in 1961. I was almost five years old. We stayed at my grandparents' home in Brazoria, Texas, a home my grandpap built of cinder blocks. The windows were all boarded up, and the power went out. The wind roared. The rain fell. I remember everything coming to a complete halt, and my dad saying, The eye is over us. Let's go out and see the eye. I remember being terrified; I envisioned a huge and vindictive eye looking down at me from an angry sky. Later, as people did in that day, my family drove around where the storm had hit. Shingles were everywhere. Broken windows. Buildings blown down. Whole roofs blown off. Power lines down. 

In 1979, my town, Alvin, Texas, set the national record for most rainfall in a 24-hour period, 42 inches, during Tropical Storm Claudette. That record remained on the books until the 2018 floods in Hawaii. We were just married a year, and woke up in the night to a foot of water in our apartment. My parents, my in-laws, friends...we all spent months cleaning up from that one.

Hurricane Alicia skirted us in 1983, but caused a lot of damage in nearby Houston.

Ike came in 2008. Ike swept through and flooded nearby Galveston, but, amazingly, we were spared.

Harvey hit in 2017, and it rained and rained and rained, for days, and a half dozen friends and family got flooded. Many children from my school were flooded. We did not. 

I'd rather not see any more hurricanes. Don't you think that five is enough for one person?

Here are some excellent hurricane books.




Isaac's Storm.....The Storm of the Century.....Zeitoun.....Hurricane Season*.....

Nights in Rodanthe.....Yesterday We Had a Hurricane.....Hurricane.....

Five Days at Memorial.....Two Bobbies.....A Sudden Sea.....A Furious Sky*

Salvage the Bones*.....Stormy Weather.....A High Wind in Jamaica*.....Flood.....

In the Hurricane's Eye*.....Clifford and the Big Storm.....I Survived Hurricane Katrina.....

To Have or Have Not*.....Their Eyes Were Watching God.....Gullywasher.....


I've not yet read the books with asterisks. 
Have you read any of these?
Do you have any more hurricane books to recommend?


 



Top Ten Tuesday was created by 
The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.     

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.