Monday, October 30, 2023

Novellas in November: My Year in Novellas

 


Week 1 (starts Wednesday 1 November): My Year in Novellas

  • During this partial week, tell us about any novellas you have read since last November.

This is my first year to participate in Novellas in November. I decided to clear my table of everything this month except nonfiction and novellas. I just couldn't resist participating since I read so many great novellas this year.



Here is a list of the best novellas I read in 2023. The links take you to my reviews.

Where Angels Fear to Tread by E. M. Forster (148 pages)

Foster by Claire Keegan (89 pages)

The Country Girls by Edna O'Brien (175 pages)

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (63 pages)

How Not to Drown in a Glass of Water by Angie Cruz (195 pages)

Small Things Like These by Claire Keegan (118 pages)



Here is a list of books that almost qualify as novellas. Some are a bit too long and some are nonfiction. The reason for their exclusion is provided after the title.

A Woman's Story by Annie Ernaux (104 pages) Nonfiction

The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler (231 pages) A little too long

Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell (213 pages) Nonfiction and a little too long

A Night to Remember by Walter Lord (182 pages) Nonfiction



For fun, I also listed novels I read this year that were the furthest thing from novellas!

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (1,138 pages)

The Covenant of Water by Abraham Verghese (724 pages)

The Bee Sting by Paul Murray (656 pages)

Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver (546 pages)

Adam Bede by George Eliot (485 pages)



What are your favorite novellas of 2023?






No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.