Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Books that Defied My Expectations




Books (I thought) I had no interest in reading but that are now favorites...

The books, with my original perceptions of the stories...


The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka

    Good grief. A story about a man who turns into a bug? 

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

    Depression? Aren't we all depressed enough?

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

    The story of a mass murder? The last thing I'd want to read.

Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown

    Sports? I hate sports. Why would I want to read a book about sports?

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

    War? I hate war. Why would I want to read a book about war?

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

    A book about motorcycles? And what the heck is Zen?

The World is Not Enough by Zoé Oldenbourg

    A huge historical novel? Nope.

Civility by Stephen F. Carter

    Civility? Really? Who would want to read about that?

L'Assommoir by Émile Zola

    Who is Zola? Why would I want to read a book by Zola?

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

    A big, long Russian classic? I don't think so.

Moby Dick by Herman Melville

    A story about a man and a whale? No way.


What books have completely surprised you?


Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.      

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.