Wednesday, December 6, 2023

The Last Year We Decorated Christmas Cookies with My Mom






Christmas cookies.

We make and decorate Christmas cookies. 

My sister-in-law, Nancy

We have made and decorated Christmas cookies ever since I was a young mother. My mom would make some cookies, my sister would make some cookies, and I would make some cookies.

My niece, Sarah

We'd all meet together with bowls of icing and flavors and colors and all those lovely stacks of plain shortbread cut-out cookies. 

My brother-in-law, Gary, and my nephew, David

Then whoever wanted to help would show up and we'd decorate and decorate and decorate. My kids. My sister's kids. My brother's kids. My Grandma Ashley. My dad. My husband. 

My nephews, Wade and Colin
And, of course, my mom.

My mom

We'd skipped a few years but it just seemed like something we should do again, so just before Christmas in 2009, we mixed up a lot of batter and stamped out all kinds of Christmas-y shapes. Just my sister and I made the cookies this time. Our mom was too weak from all the chemo to stand over a hot oven.

Wade and his mom

But she could decorate. We all got together at my sister's house and decorated cookies. All kinds of unexpected decorators turned up. My nephews. My sister-in-law. My brother-in-law. My nieces. Crazy cookies. We get really silly when we decorate cookies.

Sarah                                                                                     Wade



My mom

It was the last time my mom was able to decorate cookies with us. She passed away in 2011.



A little message for you young people out there:  It goes fast, folks. Enjoy these family get-togethers while you can. I don't remember one thing about what I got for Christmas in 2009, but I'm glad we got together to decorate cookies.






Holiday Sugar Cookies
 (for Decorating)

Cream 1 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla. Add 1 egg and 1 teaspoon of water. Beat until light. Add 3 cups of flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add to creamed mixture. Divide in half. Chill one hour.

On lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8" thickness. Cut in shapes with cookie cutters. Bake on greased cookie sheet at 375 degrees for 6-8 minutes. Cook a little and then remove from pan. Decorate at will, with colored icing, sprinkles, chocolate chips, nuts, coconut, or whatever you want.






Link up with Lisa from Boondock Ramblings and Erin from Still Life, with Cracker Crumbs this holiday season with any Christmas/holiday-themed posts, and join in the celebration of a Comfy Cozy Christmas here.


For more photos, link up at 
Wordless WednesdayComedy PlusMessymimi's MeanderingsKeith's RamblingsCreate With JoyWild Bird Wednesday, and My Corner of the World.


Weekend Cooking was created by Beth Fish Reads and is now hosted by Marg at The Intrepid Reader (and Baker). It is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. You do not have to post on the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.