Tuesday, February 18, 2020

The Last Ten Books That Wowed Me


"Read the best books first, 
or you may not have a chance to read them at all."
                ---Thoreau

And this is why I love the Classics Club....

I read 300+ books a year, but the best books are always classics.

I resist, and try new titles with lots of buzz. But it's the classics I love, it's the classics I urge others to read, it's the classics I get lost in.

Here are the last ten classic books I loved:




The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Persuasion by Jane Austen
L'Assommoir by Emile Zola
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Moby Dick by Herman Melville
Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome
Don Quixote by Miguel De Cervantes
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott


Are you interested in reading more good books? You might like to join the Classics Club. What is the Classics Club? From the blog:

  • Choose 50+ classics.
  • List them at your blog.
  • Choose a reading completion goal date up to five years in the future and note that date on your classics list of 50+ titles.
  • E-mail the moderators of this blog (theclassicsclubblog@gmail.com) with your list link and information and it will be posted on the Members Page.
  • Write about each title on your list as you finish reading it, and link it to your main list
  • When you’ve written about every single title, let the club know.
 For more information about joining the Classics Club, check out this post.




Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

28 comments:

  1. I really should read more classics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many of these are on a "book lovers" list of gems I'm sure. Great list and cover art pics as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are good reasons for having so many classics on good book lists.

      Delete
  3. Ooh, Frankenstein is a good choice!

    My TTT .

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I've only read three of them but I have read Little Women many times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished a reread of Little Women yesterday.

      Delete
    2. I'm re-reading Little Women right now. I got the whole series on Kindle for $0.99 recently:
      1. Little Women
      2. Good Wives (which became the second half of Little Women
      3. Little Men: Life at Plumfield with Jo's Boys
      4. Jo's Boys and How They Turned Out

      Delete
    3. I've never read Little Men or Jo's Boys. I'd like to see what you think of these.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you enjoy the classics so much! I feel like I should read more of them, but I just don't want to. LOL. I do love LITTLE WOMEN, which is one of the only books I've read more than once. I'm due for a re-read soon. It's a fantastic pick!

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't really want to either, but the effort to do so is worth it.

      Delete
  6. I did a recent Spin and read Excellent Women by Barbara Pym. I've read most of the ones you've listed here. Some classics I love--Anna Karenina. Some bore me to tears--Dickens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like where you went with this one! Books that wow me definitely leave me in a book hangover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 300 + books a year? That's a amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have 7 of these, some gems here for sure. My 2nd list is going crazy. I started in September, and have already read 17/50. I'm enjoying more and more classic mysteries

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Age of Innocence and Persuasion are two of my favorite classics! But then, how can you not love Edith Wharton or Jane Austen? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really need to read more classics! I haven't read very many!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to read more classics. I've never read Moby Dick, oddly enough.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Persuasion is one of my very favorite Jane Austen novels. People usually choose Pride and Prejudice or Sense and Sensibility. I'm happy to see someone else appreciates this lesser known work like I do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many of my favorites on this list too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The classics are just not my thing, though I do love a Jane Austen drama on PBS :-) Enjoy the Classics challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. it's fun to see this meme and the new to me books
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read Frankenstein years ago and was thinking it might be time for a re-read :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. II'm thinking seriously about joining, but as a Lit major, I have read many, many classics already, especially the really good ones. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Of those Persuasion and Frankenstein were my favorites! I joined Classics Club, but didn't get done in 5 years. I still keep my list up and will finish eventually :)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.