Thursday, December 10, 2020

Back to the Classics Challenge

I have decided to join this challenge for 2021 and I thought now would be a good time to share it with you, in case you have missed it. It will be hosted by Karen at Books and Chocolate.

Here's Karen:

"For the eighth year, I'm hosting the Back to the Classics Challenge, a year-long challenge in which participants are encouraged to finally read the classics they've always meant to read -- or just recently discovered. At the end of the year, one lucky winner will receive a prize $30 (US) in books from the bookstore of their choice. "

Karen asks readers to read from twelve categories in 2021. She offers one entry to the prize to anyone who reads from six categories, two entries to a reader from nine categories, and three entries to a reader from all twelve categories.

What are the categories for 2021? Again, from Karen:

1. A 19th century classic. 

2. A 20th century classic. 

3. A classic by a woman author.

4. A classic in translation. 

5. A classic by BIPOC author.

6. A classic by a new-to-you author. 

7. New-to-you classic by a favorite author. 

8. A classic about an animal, or with an animal in the title.  

9. A children's classic. 

10. A humorous or satirical classic. 

11. A travel or adventure classic (fiction or non-fiction). 

12. A classic play. Plays will only count in this category.


Here are the books I'm (tentatively) planning to read:

1. A 19th century classic. David Copperfield.

2. A 20th century classic. Main Street.

3. A classic by a woman author. The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford.

4. A classic in translation. Quo Vadis by Henrik Srenkiewicz.

5. A classic by BIPOC author. The Narrative of Sojourner Truth.

6. A classic by a new-to-you author. The Divine Comedy.

7. New-to-you classic by a favorite author. The Tale of Two Cities.

8. A classic about an animal, or with an animal in the title.  Tarka the Otter.

9. A children's classic. The Girl of the Limberlost.

10. A humorous or satirical classic. Selected Stories of O. Henry.

11. A travel or adventure classic (fiction or non-fiction). Travels in Asia and Africa by Ibn Battuta.

12. A classic play. Plays will only count in this category. Winter's Tale by William Shakespeare.


Take a look at Karen's sign-up post on Books and Chocolate for more details about the challenge.

17 comments:

  1. I need to post my list. I was figuring on Sienkewicz as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a worthy challenge. I don't usually engage in such challenges; my approach to reading is more laissez faire, tending to proceed along whatever lines interest me at the moment, but I might consider this one. I love the list of books you have chosen to complete the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard good things about Girl of the Limberlost. And someday I'd like to read The Narrative of Sojourner Truth. Better add them to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good choices :) I'm tempted to join this challenge, but too many challenges already :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds right up your alley Debbie! Good luck! I still need to do my challenges for 2021. Maybe I should first try to finish this year's challenge... I still have a few books to go.

    Have a good weekend!

    Weekend Book Friends

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved "The Pursuit of Love." Good luck -- it looks like a fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you enjoy The Girl of Limberlost and the rest of your classic reads. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nick Senger is doing a Chapter A Day of Quo Vadis starting April 11, 2021 in case you want to join that in conjunction with your Classics Plan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read The Tale of Two Cities in high school and thought it was great. I think it was my first Dickens and I keep thinking about rereading it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your list is taking me down memory lane with the David Copperfield, Main Street and The Divine Comedy selections. I read those 40 some years ago when I was in school.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Classics are so not my thing, but I do love to see which ones people choose. I am excited that you chose Ibn Battuta's book to read!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to skip this one and stick with the Classics Club.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks like you're participating in the Chapter-A=Day challenge on Nick's blog. I'm reading Quo Vadis too and perhaps The Divine Comedy although I've read it three times already. I remember loving both The Girl of the Limberlost and Tarka the Otter. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. David Copperfield is probably the consensus Dickens' "greatest", and although I think it is very good, IMO A Tale of Two Cities is his greatest work. And you've got em both...so you can't miss. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to eventually read David Copperfield, bit big books intimidate me! I heard it is one of his best, so I should get to it eventually. I read Girl of the Limberlost last year and really enjoyed it! I have Keeper of the Bees by the sea author on my list. I grew up watching Quo Vadis, The Robe, and Ben Hur with my parents, so I would like to eventually read any or all of those.

    Here is my Back to Classics list, if interested!
    https://elle-alice.blogspot.com/2021/01/back-to-classics-2021-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.