Wednesday, December 2, 2020

The 2020 Virtual Advent Tour: Let's Read Some Wonderful Children's Holiday Picture Books


What is the Virtual Advent Tour?
Has there ever been a year that is better suited for a Virtual Advent? 

2020 has been a hard year for everyone, and the current world scenario doesn’t suggest the upcoming holidays are going to be any easier. We’re all thinking about how to celebrate differently at a time when tradition is particularly dear. But there are some annual events that can continue unabated, and the Virtual Advent Tour is one of them, hosted for the sixth time by Sprite Writes

As you likely know, the typical Advent calendar is a season-marking device, often paper, but sometimes crafted of other materials, to count down from December 1st until Christmas. Each day, you open a door to unveil a hidden scene or piece of chocolate or some other delight. The Virtual Advent Tour is a bloggers’ take on that. In our version, each morning Sprite Writes will point you to a post at someone’s blog in which they share something about their holiday season.


Let's Read Some Wonderful Children's Holiday Picture Books

I'm a retired librarian and one of the things I love to do every Christmas is to read aloud children's holiday picture books. 

One year, the staff at my school---the principal and assistant principal, the counselor, a school police officer, the school librarian (me!) and others---were invited to read Christmas books aloud as I videotaped them. These were shared so that the whole school could view them each morning at the beginning of the day.



Here are some more wonderful holiday stories.

Mrs. Graham Reads Santa Claus: The World's Number One Toy Expert

Mrs. Vargas Reads A Pinata in a Pine Tree: A Latino Twelve Days of Christmas 



My Virtual Advent Tour posts from the past:

2009 Virtual Advent Tour: Children's Picture Books

2010 Virtual Advent Tour: Walk-a-Mile

2012 Virtual Advent Tour: Uff da! Norwegian Fattigmands!

2013 Virtual Advent Tour: The Last Year We Decorated Christmas Cookies with My Mom

2015 Virtual Advent Tour: Walk-a-Mile: 6 Churches, 1 Mile

2016 Virtual Advent Tour: No Traditions? Start One!


 

16 comments:

  1. What a wonderful list. I'll have to send it to my niece who raises her children bilingual.

    Thanks. And have a good advent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been busy, shame I do not have kids to get books for now

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is cool! I like and collecht god childrens books...
    Have a safe and healty Advent time
    (by the way: my todays photos I took fromopur roof top, thats my dayly sight)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful. Well done.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great video! & thanks for adding the others too. Fun. You're the perfect librarian to read these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just darling! I need to share this with the little ones and their mom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So lovely! It makes me miss teaching, A LOT, as reading to my class was one of my favorite things to do. (Along with teaching them origami.😌)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the read-aloud part, and I do miss teaching a lot, too.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful idea! When I was the librarian, I had staff sit on a couch outside the library and read aloud from banned books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great way to kick off the season, Deb! I'm definitely going to be pulling these up each morning as I wait for my tea to brew and my breakfast to toast. I'll be so much more cheerful for that first morning video chat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just finished scheduling my Top Ten Tuesday post and it included a lot of my favorite children's Christmas titles. They're older ones from when I was in elementary school or even earlier. It's fun to see you share more modern books!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.