Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Iconic Christmas Stories, Great for Reading Aloud

Is there a better time to read aloud than at this holiday season? Many of us have traditions to watch Christmas movies at this time of year, but what about also listening to an audiobook or reading aloud instead? Here are some of my favorite short and iconic Christmas stories that you might consider.


For Grownups:

The Greatest Gift by Phillip Van Doren Stern (inspiration for It's a Wonderful Life)

Gift of the Magi by O. Henry

A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote

A Child's Christmas in Wales by Dylan Thomas

Christmas Letters by Lee Smith

One Man's Christmas by Leon Hale (a Texan's take on Christmas)


For Children:

Too Many Tamales by Gary Soto and Ed Martinez

Tree of Cranes by Allan Say

Yoon and the Christmas Mitten

Waiting for Christmas

The All-I'll-Ever-Want Christmas Doll by Patricia C. McKissack and Jerry Pinkney

An Orange for Frankie by Patricia Polacco

Great Joy by Kate DiCamillo

The Little Match Girl by Hans Christian Andersen

The Puppy Who Wanted a Boy

Mr. Willoughby's Christmas Tree

Night Tree by Eve Bunting

The Tale of Three Trees: A Traditional Folk Tale


Any Age:

A Christmas Carol

The Night Before Christmas

How the Grinch Stole Christmas

The Polar Express


On my YouTube channel, I posted some children's holiday picture book readalouds we did several years ago at my primary school. I linked all these on my first post for the 2020 Virtual Advent: Let's Read Some Wonderful Holiday Picture Books.


Have I missed some of your favorites?

Add them in the comments.


Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

19 comments:

  1. It's actually a good idea, I was thinking about listening to PG Wodehouse while trying different Christmas recipes, but Christmas stories would be good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The children's Christmas features are beautiful picks. There are a few unread ones for me from the grownups list that might delight as well. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gift of the Magi is such a classic.

    My post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, these are timeless classics! Aaah The little Match Girl. I loved that story so much since I was a little girl. Gift of the Magi, I actually forgot about that one!

    Lovely post Debbie.

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Polar Express has always been my favorite to read out loud during the holidays to my daughter -- even as she gets older.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy to see Lee Smith's Christmas Letters on your list. I used to read that book annually for a number of years. I don't think I have a copy any more, but I should check. Great idea to read some Christmas stories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These all look lovely - the Little Matchgirl is so sad though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, you've got some GREAT books on this list! There are some I haven't had the pleasure of reading, though! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I still remember when my very strict, scary 3rd Grade teacher read us THE BEST CHRISTMAS PAGEANT EVER. She laughed so hard she was crying and had to hand off the book to a student to read. Up until that point, I hadn't seen her smile much let alone laugh like crazy. Any book that can do that is worth reading aloud. The movie's pretty great too.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How the Grinch Stole Christmas and Polar Express are definitely two favorites in my home. Fantastic list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm seeing so many favorites on here, I love it! Especially that absolutely haunting version of The Little Match Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely twist on the topic. Thanks for that.

    ANd thanks for visiting my TTT earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are so many amazing children’s Christmas books! I’m excited for my baby to be older. Right now, she has no attention span.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful list. I see quite a few of my favorites on there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Each year I read aloud Twas the Night Before Christmas and we listen to the recording of Dylan Thomas' A Child's Christmas in Wales. I love this season.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always read my sixth graders The Greatest Christmas Pageant Ever. They LOVED it and laughed and laughed.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.