Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Quotes That Have Helped Me Get Through 2020



Here are my favorite quotes from my reading this year.


"You do not think yourself into a new way of living as much as you live your way into a new way of thinking."

— Richard RohrYes, and...: Daily Meditations


。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆


"The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better."

— Richard RohrThings Hidden: Scripture as Spirituality


。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆


"There was a motto Barack and I tried to live by, and I offered it that night from the stage: When they go low, we go high."

— Michelle ObamaBecoming


。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆


"Our charge is not to save the world....It is to live in it, flawed and fierce, loving and humble." 

― Courtney Martin, quoted in Krista Tippett's Becoming Wise


。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆


“We have to muster the moral strength to reimagine America....The moral stamina to fight this fight requires that we cultivate our own elsewhere, because the one 'who finds no way to rest cannot long survive the battle....' We have to find and rest in a community of love....In our time, with so much hatred and venom in our politics and our culture, we must actively cultivate communities of love that allow us to imagine different ways of being together.”

― Eddie S. Glaude Jr., Begin Again: James Baldwin's America and Its Urgent Lessons for Our Own


。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆


“Breathe, darling. This is just a chapter. It's not your whole story.”

― S. C. Lourie, quoted in Hoda Kotb's I Really Needed This Today


。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

"Instead of pathologizing every human quirk, we should say, By the grace of this behavior, this individual has found it possible to continue."



。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆


“In my own worst seasons I've come back from the colorless world of despair by forcing myself to look hard, for a long time, at a single glorious thing: a flame of red geranium outside my bedroom window. And then another: my daughter in a yellow dress. And another: the perfect outline of a full, dark sphere behind the crescent moon. Until I learned to be in love with my life again. Like a stroke victim retraining new parts of the brain to grasp lost skills, I have taught myself joy, over and over again.”

― Barbara Kingsolver, High Tide in Tucson


。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆


“But now ask the beasts, and let them teach you; And the birds of the heavens, and let them tell you. Or speak to the Earth, and let it teach you; And the fish of the sea declare to you. Who among all these does not know that the hand of the Lord has done this, In whose hand is the life of every living thing, And the breath of all mankind?”

― Job 12:7-10


。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

“Swifts aren't always cresting the atmospheric boundary layer at dizzying heights; most of the time they are living below it in thick and complicated air. That's where they feed and mate and bathe and drink and are. But to find out about the important things that affect their lives, they must go higher to survey the wider scene, and there communicate with others about the larger forces impinging on their realm....Not all of us need to make that climb...but as a community, surely some of us are required, by dint of flourishing life and the well-being of us all, to look clearly at the things that are so easily obscured by the everyday.”

― Helen MacdonaldVesper Flights


。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆


"Let's see what love can do." 

― Julia Alvarez, Afterlife


。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆




Do any of these speak to you? 




Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

20 comments:

  1. Great quotes, I especially love the first three ones. My quotes come from Oscar Wilde. The master of wisdom and satire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful quotes. They seem very comforting, indeed.

    My post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that you included the Bible in your quotes, for while they are wonderful, the Bible has been the most meaningful in supporting me through this time, too. In particular, this Thanksgiving, I wrote the 1 Thessalonians 5 verse: Be thankful for ALL things...because that is what we must do. Surely, when we find good amidst the sorrow, we are blessed. I think it is those who are able to do that are the ones who are able to come away less unscathed. This was a great post. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are some great quotes! I think the Richard Rohr one about criticism is my favorite. I love that it's about taking action rather than complaining. Great advice, especially in this crazy year.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are certainly some powerful and helpful quotes for this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those verses from Job but what I hope to take from these quotes is the Kingsolver. I am not in a 'worst season' right now, but I hope that I might remember this advice when another of those seasons comes around - as it inevitably will. This is, after all, life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are lovely! I almost put High Tide in Tuscon on my list of books to re-read instead of The Bean Trees. I really liked Courtney Martin and S. C. Lourie's quotes above. And I'm looking forward to reading AFterlife! (In the Time of the Butterflies was another re-read contendor!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 2020 has been a tough year, no question! I like the Obama one and I especially love the bible quote!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first quote is my favorite--putting the book on my list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Am copying several of these into my current Quotes Notebook. It's about time to post some of these on a Monday Musings post from my notebooks...hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, a number of those quote really resonate with me. I am working on being positive and hopeful through all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great list of quotes. I have remembered the quote by Michelle Obama, it's something I admire in both herself and her husband, they can inspire us every day.

    Thanks for visiting my TTT earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When they go low, we go high ! So right .... I am reminded of that quote so often. It reminds us all not to partake ... in their lowness ....

    ReplyDelete
  14. "This is just a chapter, not your whole story." Oh I like that one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for these! Two of them particularly sang out to me - the Barbara Kingsolver quote especially resonated. I've found that focusing on what I call 'golden drops' has helped me in the past to cope. And I loved the one that starts, 'Breathe darling...'

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great approach to the topic this week. I've found a lot of comfort in books this year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love: “Breathe, darling. This is just a chapter. It's not your whole story.”
    I'd never heard it before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This. Is. Perfect.

    “Breathe, darling. This is just a chapter. It's not your whole story.”

    And, Kingsolver's quote. Love it. I checked my 2017 (re-read) review for the book and see that I included it, so yes, it spoke to me then and now.

    Thanks for sharing these, Deb.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.