Saturday, October 8, 2022

Solito and How to Live

 





Two weeks ago I was in Chicago visiting family and last week I was in North Texas visiting family. Whew. A lot of traveling.

A story: I raced home last Monday so I'd make it to hear author Javier Zamora speak about his new memoir, Solito, that night. I got home after driving for five hours, rested for a bit, and then drove into Houston to hear Zamora. Just as I was about to arrive at the venue, my husband called. "I think you better come home," he told me. I left immediately for home. His blood pressure had been a little high when he visited the doctor while I was gone, and, after I left for the Zamora event, he went to Walgreen's and bought a blood pressure monitor. He took his blood pressure and it was over 200! So he called me to come home and then he called his sister, a nurse. Chris immediately recognized that he was taking his blood pressure wrong and showed him how to take the pressure correctly. His blood pressure, when taken correctly, was a little elevated, but nowhere near 200! By that time, I was home. 

So that's why I missed the Zamora event. But, hey, I'd much rather come home to a husband with a red face than one that had dangerously high blood pressure.

And here's Zamora's interview on the Today show:


It's a fantastic read. I encourage you to look for Solito.





What I Read:


Solito: A Memoir by Javier Zamora πŸπŸπŸπŸπŸ

The links will take you to my reviews.




What I Am Reading:

Villette by Charlotte Bronte (Chapter-a-Day)

Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser (Classic)

Bake: My Best Ever Recipes for the Classics by Paul Hollywood (Cookbook)

The Marriage Portrait by Maggie O'Farrell (Author Event)






Last week I posted here at Readerbuzz:

Wrigley Field in Chicago: My First Real, Outdoor Baseball Game!
Bookstores I've Visited
The Sunday Salon: Other Birds and Lucy by the Sea



It's your opportunity to nominate your favorite children's books and young adult books of 2022 for the Cybils Award. Please take a look at the guidelines and nominate here on or before October 15. Need ideas for what to nominate? Take a look at our idea boards here








Good Thing #1, 2, and 3
I spent a week with these lovely family members in the wilds of North Texas.
I slept in a little cabin my son has down the hill from his house.
The kids and I did some drawing and I read a million books to them
and I helped my daughter-in-law sell her art at Canton.
Great fun!





I'm happy you joined us here at the Sunday Salon. Sunday Salon is a place to link up and to share what we have been doing during the week. It's a great way to visit other blogs and join in the conversations going on there. 


Some of the things we often talk about at the Sunday Salon:

  • What was your week like?
  • Read any good books? Tell us about them.
  • What other bookish things did you do? 
  • What else is going on in your life?

Other places where you may like to link up over the weekend are below. Click on the picture to visit the site.

        

My linkup for Sunday Salon is below. 

1 comment:

  1. How scary! I am glad that everyone is fine!

    Have a great week ahead!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.