Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Ten Good Books I Want to Reread in 2023: Books I Loved When I Read Them Long, Long Ago

Anne at My Head is Full of Books writes: "Prior to 2017 my priority in blogging was writing reviews for the YA books I was reading. I purposely didn't review all the adult books I read, thinking my students wouldn't be that interested in them. Now I realize that many of the books I never reviewed are some of my favorites and I really, really wish I hadn't neglected them. I keep wondering if it is possible to write reviews for books I read years ago? Well, this project will be my attempt to go back and correct the record, writing super-duper past due reviews."

I shall try to join her. I will start with books that are on my list of favorites and my list of you-must-reads, but which I have failed to review. All of these are books I read for the first time more than fifteen years ago.

For more about Anne's project, take a look here.


1. The Gold Bug Variations by Richard Powers 
Quirky literary fiction featuring two romances.

2. Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life by Amy Krouse Rosenthal 
Autobiography told via encyclopedia articles.

3. Strong Measures: Contemporary American Poetry in Traditional Forms by Philip Dacey
Poetry that is both very contemporary but that also uses traditional forms.

4. The World is Not Enough by Zoé Oldenbourg
The best historical fiction book I've ever read.

5. A Night to Remember by Walter Lord
The true story of the sinking of the Titanic. Need I say more?

6. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles by Haruki Murakami
The first Murakami I ever read, and I couldn't wait to read more.

7. Zen and Zen Classics by R. L. Blyth
What is this zen stuff? Perfect intro to the subject.

8. Isaac's Storm by Erik Larson
The 1900 Storm in Galveston.

9. Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse
I have no memory of this book, but I reread Siddhartha last year and loved it, 
so now I want to reread this one, too.

10. Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg
How to write by establishing a daily practice.


In 2022, I first took on this project with a list of ten books. Happily, I managed to read and review five:




Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.