Saturday, October 17, 2009

Moonshot: The Flight of Apollo 11


Moonshot: The Flight of Apollo 11 by Brian Floca

My Thoughts:


I felt like I was the fourth passenger on Apollo 11 when I read this book. I saw what the crewmen saw; I felt what the crewmen felt.

The pictures are fun, like cartoons. The pictures, together with the text, carry you right into the story. Both the pictures and the text are simple, but there is more detailed information for those who want to know more in the back.

The children who listened to the story liked the pictures and the text a lot. They especially liked the way the words were written on the page.

A Sample:

“In the dust and stone
beneath their feet,
no seed has ever grown,
no root has ever reached.
Still secrets wait there,
the story of the Moon:
Where did it come from?
How old is it?
What is it made of?
(Not green cheese.)”

Children’s Comments:

Stevie, 6, said, "I liked the book because it was awesome. The words looked like they were coming out at you."
Kaylin, 6, said, "It looked cool to be floating in space."
Joaquin, 6, said, "I liked it when the rocket blasted off and the dirt went up in the air."

Children’s Ratings: 5, 5, 5, 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.