Saturday, October 17, 2009

Living Sunlight: How Plants Bring the Earth to Life


Living Sunlight: How Plants Bring the Earth to Life by Molly Bang & Penny Chisholm

My Thoughts:


The bright pictures in this book reminded me on every page of the power of the sun. I felt a glow radiating out of the illustrations. And that's what this book is about; the text focuses on the connections between people and plants and light and energy.

An unusual feature of this book was a note that explains the simplifications the authors made for the sake of their young audience. Interesting. I’ve never seen a note explaining what was omitted from a book.

The children liked the bright pictures and the interactive way the text began. Some of the more complicated connections between energy and plants seemed to elude them.

A Sample:

“Without plants,
you would have no oxygen.
Without plants,
you would have no food.
Without plants,
you could not live.
Without plants,
there would be no life on Earth.”

Children’s Comments:

Jesse, 5, said, "I liked the pictures."
Ethan, 6, said, "I loved how bright the pictures are."
Ramsey, 6, said, "I liked when the sun was talking to us."
Elizabeth, 6, said, "I liked the sentences that tell what is happening in the story."
Rodrigo, 6, said, "I liked how it exploded."
Aria, 7, said, "I liked the dedication page."
Cailyn, 5, "I liked the title of the book."

Children's Ratings: 3, 5, 3, 5, 5, 5, 5, 3, 5, 5, 5, 3, 5, 5, 5, 1, 3, 5, 1

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.