Saturday, October 24, 2009

Readathon: Hour 10: Sky High by Marissa Moss

Book numero thirteen:



Sky High: The True Story of Maggie Gee by Marissa Moss

Maggie Gee was one of only two Chinese Americans to serve as a WASP in World War II. This book tells her story.

The text is clear and the pictures are bright and colorful. I liked the way the book talked about family stories both true and not-yet-to-be-true. The difficulties Gee faced as a minority and as a woman during that time were mentioned, but were not the entire focus of the book.

The author's note adds more to Gee's story. The last page of the book shows photographs of those mentioned in the book.

A bit of the book:

'The day that I earned my wings and was made a WASP, I was so proud that I felt as if I could fly without an airplane. I sent my mother a postcard. All I wrote was: "Some stories are true, some are not. This is a true story." My family's stories flew with me, but now I was living out my own true stories.'

3 comments:

  1. Its the 11th hour of the Read-a-Thon. How are you holding up? I'm cheering for you. You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading is fun
    Reading is great
    Hope you’re able
    To stay up late!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, good for her!

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.