Saturday, October 24, 2009

Readathon: Hour 8: Winter's Tail

My tenth book of the readathon! Hurray!

And I've gone outside to write up this review. It's incredibly beautiful. In the low 70's. Sunny. Brilliant blue sky. Perfect.


Winter's Tail: How One Little Dolphin Learned to Swim Again by Juliana Hatkoff

Children love animal stories. And I mean LOVE.

It may be a universal thing. I heard the other day that putting a picture of a cat or a dog on your blog creates a tremendous increase in your blog traffic.

So there is a built-in love-it factor in this book. Add a little more for the love-dolphins crowd (and they are numerous). Then add a little more for the fact that the dolphin has had to overcome a disability. You end up with lots of appeal for this book.

The illustrations are photographs of the dolphin. The text is heavier than is usual for a picture book, but it would still make for a good readaloud for the youngest of children.

Odd side note: This is the only book that has come back (so far) from my ILL requests with a cannot fill note. And then what happened? I found the book at my book fair this week. Happy day!

A little of this book:

"Nonetheless, by the end of the week, Abby and the other trainers no longer felt they had to support Winter in the water. They encouraged her to swim on her own. And then, just as everyone feared, Winter lost her tail. What was left was a fleshy stump that would heal over time.

Would Winter be able to swim without her tail?"

2 comments:

  1. Ten books, congratulations. I wish I could take my computer outside. It's a very nice day here, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting sounding book that my sea mad 8 y.o would love I'm sure. I'll look out for it here.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.