Saturday, October 24, 2009

Readathon: Hour Three: Eleanor, Quiet No More


Eleanor, Quiet No More by Doreen Rappaport

How many people have been encouraged to be better human beings because of Eleanor Roosevelt? This is the story of her life. The author uses quotes from Eleanor Roosevelt to add strength to her story. The story is a powerful one and this is well told, with simple words that should be clear to young children. The line breaks the author uses make the text seem like poetry. The pictures show the feelings Eleanor had as she grew bolder and braver.

Here’s a little bit from the book:

‘Eleanor’s parents died before she was ten.
She and her brother went to live
with their grandmother Hall
and two aunts and two uncles
in a big, dreary house.
Her grandmother did everything
she thought was right for a little girl,
except hug and kiss her.
“I never smiled.”’

The enormous picture of Eleanor's face on the front cover is very appealing. I also love how the author highlights Eleanor's words by writing them in large type. The author also includes a timeline and a list of selected research sources.

My favorite quote: "Do something every day that scares you." Great advice.

This hour I also added my spot on the Google map for readathon participants. I have never done this before and it took me a half hour to figure out how to do it. Sigh. I have so much to learn.

2 comments:

  1. Glad I'm not the on ly one who struggled with the map ;) Hope your still enjoying yourself and feeling full of beans :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book on Eleanor looks really interesting. I can't wait to read Year of the Flood. Atwood is one of my favorite authors. I'll keep an eye out for your opinion on it!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.