Saturday, November 7, 2009

The American Revolution from A to Z


The American Revolution from A to Z by Laura Crawford

Boys at my school are very interested in war. There is very little out there for these boys. I noticed when I was reading all the old Newbery winners that many of the older titles dealt with fighting and war, subjects that appeal to boys. Why are these types of books no longer written about?

This is a simple alphabet book about the Revolutionary War.

A sample:
“J is for Jefferson
Thomas Jefferson, one of the founders of the United States, was the main author of the Declaration of Independence and the third president. He was a lawyer, architect, writer, inventor, and musician. Jefferson died on July 4, 1826, exactly fifty years after the signing of the Declaration of Independence.”

Children’s reactions:
This was not a popular choice among the children who previewed the book. A few boys liked the book’s scenes of fighting, but, for the most part, there was a ho-hum reaction. It seems to need an older reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.