Saturday, April 6, 2019

Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon: The Chill 'Thon

I was sure I was going to be antiquing this weekend. No point in trying to do any reading if I'm up in the Texas Hill Country without Internet service.

Then we learned a gully washer was headed to Central Texas. Many of the antique vendors were packing up. We decided to skedaddle for home a day early.

Just in time for the Readathon.


I didn't have much prep time. I threw together a couple of books and sent my husband off for some snacks.

And here goes nothing. It's reading time, folks.




HOURS 1-6

Getting to Know You Survey
1)What fine part of the world are you reading from today? Alvin, Texas, USA.
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? Salt to the Sea.
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? Coffee.
4) Tell us a little something about yourself! I'm Deb Nance and I've blogged at Readerbuzz for over ten years. I'm a retired school librarian.
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? This is my 25th readathon. I plan to read and blog.


I started with Tales from Shakespeare and Salt to the Sea first.



My husband picked up some snacks for me. 

Here are photos of me dressed as literary characters for Falconer's Library's Rag Tag Cosplay Challenge:



 Top Row: Fancy Nancy, Madeleine, Cat in the Hat
Bottom Row: The Polar Express, How I Became a Pirate, Little Red Riding Hood



I am trying for a blackout on the Goodreads bingo game.


HOURS 6-10


I've finished Salt to the Sea; La Boheme; Hop; A Piglet Named Mercy; and Bloom, Boom. I've got five of twenty-five squares left on my Goodreads Bingo Challenge. I hope to do a few more mini-challenges. 

I'm off to take a supper break for a while.


HOURS 10-16

Mid-Event Survey:
1. What are you reading right now? Tales from Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb
2. How many books have you read so far? 5 (but 3 of them are picture books)
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? I will do well if I can finish Tales from Shakespeare.
4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? I was supposed to be off antiquing today, so no one thought I was home!
5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? I am completing all my goals. So far.

The Reading Stats Mini Challenge: My Book Statistics for 2019 (94)



Bingo!


The Vague Recollections Mini-Challenge is to describe a book as vaguely as possible.  Here is mine: "It's the book by that author...the one with the hard name...the name that kinda sounds like a common name....That author wrote another book...you know it...lots of people liked it...that book was sort of like this one....What else can I tell you? I think the stories in both books are about things that really happened...even though I don't think most people ever heard about those things until they read the books....But I don't want her first book...I want her second book...at least I think it's her second book....It will definitely be the second book of hers that I've read. It's pretty sad and it takes place, like her first book, during the war. Can you find that book for me?"




Now I'm off to try to finish Tales from Shakespeare before I fall asleep....


HOURS 17-21

I fell asleep....


HOURS 21-24

Happily, I woke up in time to read Tales from Shakespeare to the end for a couple more hours. Then I fell asleep again.


Closing Survey!

  1. What hour was most daunting? 11 pm.
  2. Tell us ALLLLL the books you read! Six books: Salt to the Sea; La Boheme; Hop; Bloom Boom; A Piglet Named Mercy; and Tales from Shakespeare.
  3. What was your favorite snack? Bluebell Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream.
  4. What was your favorite facet of the day? Reading, visiting blogs, mini-challenges.
  5. Wanna volunteer for our next event? Of course!








12 comments:

  1. Good luck! I’m participating too, but I’m going to be late because I have stuff to do this morning. I hope you like Salt To The Sea. That was my favorite book last year.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the gully-washer (love that word!) but at least there is a bright side in that you get to readathon. As a not-yet-retired librarian I am hoping to get a couple of books I need to read for award committees knocked off today. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salt to the Sea is on my TBR. I hope it's good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I'm sorry your antiquing got canceled but reading is a nice consolation prize, right? And this is like the 3rd blog I've visited where the husband is sent out for snacks. I need a man just for that purpose!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a wonderful day of reading. I have got to get going on mine as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another supporter of Salt to the Sea here. It wouldn't be read-a-thon without you, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Salt to the Sea! (We're also doing a low-key readathon - we've been in the midst of a kitchen repair/renovation and been traveling a lot and we're just wiped out. I foresee a lot of napping in this readathon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thhink I need an action calender, need to be more active

    ReplyDelete
  9. You forgot the book had a blue cover!!
    :-D
    I hear that at work every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right! Try doing this every day when your patrons are all 4-8 years old!

      Delete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.