Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Rainy Day Reads

It rains a lot here. We get many hurricanes. A town that was once a major seaport a few miles from me was wiped out completely by a hurricane. We average over 57 inches of rain a year.

I love rainy day reads. Here are some of the best.






"It was a dark and stormy night. In her attic bedroom Margaret Murry, wrapped in an old patchwork quilt, sat on the foot of her bed and watched the trees tossing in the frenzied lashing of the wind."




“A soft fall rain slips down through the trees and the smell of ocean is so strong that it can almost be licked off the air.” 





“There is no faith like the faith of a builder of homes in coastal Louisiana.” 



“Those who did better were those who didn't wait idly for help to arrive. In the end, with systems crashing and failing, what mattered most and had the greatest immediate effects were the actions and decisions made in the midst of a crisis by individuals.” 



It’s the first day of school. A group of children are walking to school, excited about the start of classes. They walk and walk and finally they arrive. There are no books. There are no desks. There is no school building. The teacher is there. ‘’We will build our school,” she says. “This is the first lesson.”



“This is the story of Isaac and his time in America, the last turning of the centuries, when the hubris of men led them to believe they could disregard even nature itself.”




"The storm destroyed every measuring instrument then available. It not only tore leaves from trees but sucked the juice from them."





Subtitled Hurricanes, Tornadoes, and the Worst Weather in the World




"The wind came back with triple fury and put out the light for the last time. They sat in company with the others in other shanties, their eyes straining against crude walls and their souls asking if He meant to measure their puny might against His. They seemed to be staring at the dark, but their eyes were watching God."




"It was very dark, and the wind howled horribly around her, but Dorothy found she was riding quite easily. After the first few whirls around, and one other time when the house tipped badly, she felt as if she were being rocked gently, like a baby in a cradle."





Top Ten Tuesday was created by 
The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

16 comments:

  1. You have put together a good selection there i must adimt, think we could do with some of the rain here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh nice picks! Some new to me ones here. I was in a spooky/mystery theme myself!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I haven't read A Wrinkle in Time but I'd like to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You get hurricanes, and we get tornadoes. Ain't nature grand? xD Great list! It's been a long time since I've read Their Eyes Were Watching God, but I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're making me want to reread A Wrinkle in Time. :)

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I caught the weather-related theme here. Good job. I read and reviewed Zeitoun several years a go and some person wrote the nastiest comment on that review because they said the man was a terrible person. I left the comment up and answered it, even though I was shocked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of choosing books about rain and storms. Nice touch. Drowned City is one of my favorite graphic novels, about what happened in New Orleans during Katrina.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's some great weather books! We get 15 inches a year of rain if we're lucky so I've never thought about rainy day books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You win the rainiest bogger award, lol, I'm actually unsure of gauging rain totals but that sounds like a lot.
    I like that you included several genres, especially children's ๐Ÿ˜Š

    Jay @The Scented Library

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the language in Their Eyes Were Watching God! Such a good book.

    I started Zeitoun many years ago, but never finished. I must do something about that, as I thought what I read was very good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I forgot to comment on your rainfall totals. You do get a lot! Last year, we only had 48" compared to previous years of 73 & 78. 2012 was a big year for us with almost 82"! It's no wonder moss grows EVERYWHERE here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That quote made me want to read A Wrinkle In Time. Perfect for a rainy day, indeed! I read Zeitoun and it was terrifying but also very well done. I have Five Days at Memorial on my TBR - I haven't been brave enough to try it yet though! I love this list, you've got such a good mix of books. I feel like Their Eyes Were Watching God has been mentioned by everyone lately, which is making me feel like I need to check it out. Also I'm currently reading Circe myself - what are you thinking of it so far? Have you read the original myths? I haven't and I'm really wishing I had that background to compare and contrast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly, I just finished Edith Hamilton's Mythology. That gave me a bit of background for Circe.

      Delete
  13. This is such a great approach to TTT. I loved the quotes you get for every book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your twist on this week. I just purchased When the Sky Breaks for the library - it looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Of all those books, FIVE DAYS AT MEMORIAL has to be the best. I read that and can’t tell you how impressed I was.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.