Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Poetry: An Acquired Taste





It usually happens in April as April is National Poetry Month, but this year it happened in March: Poets speak at Inprint's Margaret Root Brown Reading Series in Houston. 

Listening to poets is a surreal experience. It is like listening to someone speak in a foreign language. You get the gist of what is going on, from the context, from a random known word, and you get the emotional feeling of what is being said, from facial expressions, hand gestures, but you feel like a small child listening to a group of nuclear physicists. Add to that the fact that the two poets who spoke at Inprint are multilingual, with Carmen Giménez Smith speaking English and Spanish, and Fady Joudah speaking English and Arabic as well as speaking Medical-Talk (he is a physician by profession). 

The result: a beautiful, fun, almost mystical experience.

Fady Joudah


From "Palestine, Texas" by Fady Joudah

“I’ve never been,” I said to my friend who’d just come back from there. “Oh, you should definitely go,” she said. “The original Palestine is in Illinois.” She went on, “A pastor was driven out by Palestine’s people and it hurt him so badly he had to rename somewhere else after it. Or maybe it goes back to a 17th century Frenchman who traveled with his vision of milk and honey, or the nut who believed in dual seeding.”



“What’s that?” I asked. “That’s when an egg is fertilized by two sperm,” she said. “Is that even viable?” I asked. “It is,” she said, “on rare occasions, though nothing guarantees the longevity of the resulting twins.” 


She spoke like a scientist but was a professor of the humanities at heart. “Viability,” she added, “depends on the critical degree of disproportionate defect distribution for a miracle to occur. If there is life, only one twin lives....” 

From“Palestine, Texas” in Footnotes in the Order of Disappearance by Fady Joudah (Minneapolis: Milkweed Editions, 2018). Copyright © 2018 by Fady Joudah. 



 Carmen Giménez Smith


From “Be Recorder” by Carmen Giménez Smith

when my children found out
the tooth fairy wasn’t real
it was the death of innocence
and the beginning of a new world
they’ll recall in their old age


as the days when we had
to begin to start over even
the hope myths keeping
us afloat revised to include
the bodies we used as ballast


 not the end of innocence
but the beginning of futurity

rousing the earth to avenge

our bodies her munitions



From “Be Recorder” in Be Recorder by Carmen Giménez Smith (Minneapolis: Graywolf Press, 2019). Copyright © 2019 by 
Carmen Giménez Smith.










After the reading, the two poets had a conversation on stage with Jasminne Mendez. 



(Probably because I didn't understand a lot of what was going on, I became strangely fascinated with the moderator's earrings. Here is a closeup. Who is that face on her earrings?)

You can listen to Fady Joudah speak with Lupe and Jasminne Mendez here. (I love how Jasminne Mendez dreams of becoming a yoga instructor or a librarian. Side note to her: Do it, Jasminne!) An episode with Carmen Smith should be posted at Ink Well shortly.





For more wordless photos, go to Wordless Wednesday.

Saturday Snapshot is hosted by A Web of StoriesTo participate in Saturday Snapshot: post a photo that you (or a friend or family member) have taken and then leave a direct link to your post in the Mister Linky at A Web of Stories.



8 comments:

  1. Interesting post, I like poetry but don't know if I could sit through a whole program.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's surprisingly captivating. Though I frankly didn't know what they were talking about.

      Delete
  2. Can't say that poetry is my think but glad you enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the most powerful reading of the year. And I understood little of it.

      Delete
  3. I've only attended a few poetry readings, one by Billy Collins, one by Naomi Shihab Nye and another time with a poet whose name I've forgotten. All transported me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting! I like this also in Germany!

    Best, Merle

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.