Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Book Titles that Are So Complex and Oddly Compelling that You Can't Seem to Stop Yourself from Reading the Story


Sometimes I think I choose books, not by the cover as many of us do, but by the title. I love complex titles. I find complex titles oddly compelling. And some of them I chose mostly for the title are amazing stories that live up to the title. Like these...


Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst


Do Androids Dream of Electric Sleep? by Philip K. Dick


A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle


Hank the Cowdog #8: The Case of the One-Eyed Killer Stud Horse by John R. Erickson


The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami


The Gold Bug Variations by Richard Powers


The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundura


All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten by Robert Fulghum


The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams


Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values by Robert Pirsig








I haven't read these yet, but I find myself wanting to find them and read them right now...just because of the titles...

After the Wreck, I Picked Myself Up, Spread My Wings, and Flew Away by Joyce Carol Oates

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

If on a Winter's Night a Traveller by Italo Calvino


And, if you are curious, 

Guinness Book of World Records says the longest book title is a book by N. Srinivasan. The book has 4,558 words beginning with Stock Price Prediction, a Referential Approach on How to Predict the Stock Price Using... Yes, complex, but not oddly compelling...


Have you read any of these?

Thoughts?

What favorite reads of yours have complex and oddly compelling titles?



Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.