Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Independent Bookstores in Montana

What are independent bookstores? Independent bookstores are retail bookstores that are independently owned. Independent bookstores can be contrasted to chain bookstores, which are owned by large corporations that often do many more things than selling books.

Why should I go to an independent bookstore rather than a chain bookstore? The owners of independent bookstores choose books to sell that best fit the needs of their local communities. Independent bookstore owners provide venues for authors to meet with and share their books with readers. For every $100 spent in an independent bookstore, $68 stays in the local economy; out of $100 spent at a chain bookstore, only $43 stays in the local economy while buying from a large online bookstore returns nothing to the local economy. 

When I travel, I often visit independent bookstores. 

I was surprised to find two amazing independent bookstores when we traveled recently to Montana.


MONTANA BOOK COMPANY, 331 N. Last Chance Gulch, Helena, Montana

Montana Book Company is an independent, LGBTQ+, locally-owned, bookstore located on historic Last Chance Gulch in Helena, Montana. Montana Book Company has been in downtown Helena since 1978.

It was fun to talk with one of the owners of the bookstore. 


I knew I was in a bookstore that suited me when I realized I'd already read 11 out of the 29 books on the Indie Bestseller List shelves.


The children's books were fantastic, too.

What did I buy here? I bought a copy of Writing Haiku: A Beginner's Guide to Composing Japanese Poetry.

For more about the Montana Book Company, take a look at the website here.



ELK RIVER BOOKS, 122 S. 2nd St., Livingston, Montana

Elk River Books is an antiquarian and new bookstore in Livingston, Montana. The store specializes in rare and collectible outdoor literature. It also carries a curated selection of books by regional authors.


What did I buy here? I bought a nice used copy of Guidebook to Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

For more about Elk River Books, take a look at the website here.




Do you often visit independent bookstores? 
Do you have a favorite independent bookstore? 
What do you like best about it?







For more wordless photos, go to Wordless Wednesday.

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you can share new words that you’ve encountered, or spotlight words you love.  Feel free to get creative! It was first created by Kathy over at Bermuda Onion and is now hosted at Elza Reads.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.